Complaint Procedures

The director is available upon request to talk to you about any concerns or complaints that you may have regarding the center and/or its policies and procedures. If the director is unable to address a parent’s concern in a satisfactory manner, the center can refer the parent to the university administrator who oversees the program.

To make a formal complaint at The University of Texas at Austin, you may follow the complaint procedure as described in the UT procedures handbook. You may also file a complaint with the Texas Department of Human Services or the United States Department of Agriculture.

In the operation of the Child and Adult Care Food Program, the participants are not discriminated against because of race, sex, color, national origin, age, religion, political belief, or disability. If you believe you have been discriminated against, write immediately one of the following:

Civil Rights Office M.C. W-206
P.O. Box 149030
Austin, Texas 78714-9030
Phone: 512-438-4313
TDD: 612-438-2960
Fax: 512-438-5866

Office of Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
1301 Young St. #1169
Dallas, Texas 75202
Toll-Free: 1-800-368-1019
Phone: 214-767-4056
TDD: 214-767-8940

Most recent inspection reports, letters, or notices requiring posting are always posted at the child development center. A copy of the “Minimum Standard Rules for Licensed Child Care Centers” can be found online at the following link: Minimum Standards

Parents may contact the Child Care Licensing Office at:

Child Care Licensing Office
14000 Summit Drive
Suite 100 (MC 016-5)
Austin, Texas 78729
Phone: 512-834-3195 or 512-834-3215

Parents may also contact the Texas Department of Family and Regulatory Services, child abuse hotline at 1-800-252-5400.